Monday, March 4, 2013

Our Home Office - Before & A Sneak Peek At Our Progress

Good morning :)
Lately I've been posting a lot about kids' rooms, but today I want to switch gears and head into one of the grown up rooms in our new house - the basement home office. 

The before pictures look a lot better than it looked in person. (But they're still super ugly)

The previous owners used this as a bedroom. Here are photos taken during our home inspection (with the previous owners' belongings). Believe it or not, it is a lot tidier and less cluttered than when we had our first showings of the house.
(I had to use a very bright flash, which makes the walls/ceiling appear brighter than in person. The walls and ceiling are actually grey)
 Didn't snap a photo, but behind those blue curtains the window is not framed in or insulated -- although, on the major plus side, it is a brand new window. 
 Here are more photos, taken on the day we took possession back in mid-January.
 The door was a cheap, hollow core door with an exterior door lock (not sure why) and lots of damage. It also didn't have any trim or anything around it. 
To be positive, the set of hooks was actually really sturdy, just in need of paint. Keeper.
 But the ceiling.
 Oh, that hideous ceiling.
 Rusted, stained, warped, and in some spots missing. Not a true drop ceiling either -- the frame was held up in lots of places by clear fishing line. Meaning, replacing the ceiling panels wouldn't work. The options were thus to (a) leave it as is (with maybe some paint?), (b) replace the drop ceiling system - new frame/grid, new tiles or (c) drywall. We got quotes from two contractors and realized drywalling it wasn't much more but was the only thing that could give us the look we wanted. We also learned we could gain a few inches of height with drywall -- always a bonus. 
The room was very dark because this ceiling fan (which hung rather low) was the only light source. In real life, it felt much darker than how the photos come across. Not ideal for a place you want to read and work in. Or do anything in. 
Anyway, since we decided to go with drywall, we figured we could add some pot-lights to remedy this situation. We planned on four initially and then upped the number to nine. 

And of course we'd be changing out this flooring. The flooring was a thin type of carpet glued directly onto the concrete subfloor. Hard to tell in pics but the edges (which were glued onto the wall) were uneven and the carpet had numerous pet-related stains. 
 (Are you wondering why we bought this place? I promise that, despite all the ickiness, this room had potential because it is a great size. I'll admit it was one of the grosser rooms in the house - outgrossed only by the storage room, laundry room, and possibly basement bathroom -- and, yes,the ceiling was the worst ceiling ever. But we saw past all that. Wait for the transformation -- which, I hope, will be as good as it is in my head)

Here's a sneak peek at where we're at now. Progress!!
Lots of photos of the process and our progress coming up shortly, as well as our to do list and plans for decorating/furnishing the space.
It's been quite an evolution already and we're not even close to done.
Can't wait to show you everything!

12 comments:

  1. Jenny I can't wait for the taa daa moment!! xo P.S. did you get your entry in for my new giveaway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness ... that is some "before" ... and, the peek at your after is amazing! I love your new flooring and look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and will be following your progress. Great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It already looks amazing...can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a big change already and the clean fresh foundation you've created holds so many great possibilities. Knowing what you can do with a space this office will be great! Isn't it funny how lighting needs multiply ... think 4 ceiling cans and ending up with 9 ... that's happening to me right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment on my blog!

    Wow, that last picture is instant brightness compared to all the befores! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I've got a bedroom in the basement I need to do a little revamping to and it has NO windows so I understand the pain of what you're working with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my...you did have your hands full..looking forward to seeing more of the after.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see your progress! You've come a long way!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy COW that looks so much better! I can see why the house was on the market for such a long time. Also, I hope you're taking pictures of that scary laundry room you keep mentioning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, wow. Y'all have been working hard. I can't wait to see it finished. I found you through Brambleberry. Have a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That reveal is already amazing. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)