Monday, November 21, 2011

30th Anniversary Tablescape

Today is Matt's parents' 30th wedding anniversary. To celebrate, we hosted a dinner party honouring them on Friday night. It was a lot of fun. Today, I thought I'd show you how we set up the table. We kept it fancy but fun, with both casual and fine elements mixed together. I also tried to subtly incorporate pearls,  the traditional 30th anniversary gift. Let me show you...
 Being on a budget, we opted to skip flowers in favour of more economical candles. We used the easy DIY wine cork centrepiece I showed you here as the basis of our centrepiece, flanking it with silver (Waterford Gadroon) candlesticks (purchased on ebay inexpensively).

We added a the pearl garland, intended for use on a Christmas tree and purchased for $9 at Canadian Tire, around the base of them. It was hard to capture, but this little detail made the whole setting much more special. Plus, we can reuse it later for lots of other things. We wanted to incorporate the pearl detail as a nod to the traditional gift for 30 years. 
 A few more centrepiece shots:
 I added a (broken) pearl necklace around the candle for a little extra pearlishness. 
 Here it is all lit up. 
 I used these super cheap shipping tags from Staples (they come in a huge pack) to create place card napkin holders, and to embellish a decanter with a quickly hand-written "30 years" label. 
I also used shipping tags to make placecard napkin holders. Easy & cheap. 
Here are the supplies you'd need to recreate it - shipping tags, and alphabet stamps (you could also freehand the letters or print them for a different look and feel).
Simply stamp the name (imperfection adds to the charm, so don't stress about this part), add a ribbon, and voila!
Since we were drinking good wine, which I'd begun decanting at about 11 am that morning, I wanted to label each decanter so people knew what they were tasting. I did so by simply tying the cork onto the decanter with a small length of ribbon. It was a bonus that this tied in with the centrepiece and I loved how it looked.
A few more pics:
For table linens, I layered a modern grey tablecloth (from HomeSense - you saw it here) with an antique lace one (purchased for $2 at a garage sale. I showed this one to you here too). 
Overall, we were happy with our easy, inexpensive but special tablescape.
Congratulations on 30 years Jack and Kathy!

Love Jenny xo

Source List:
China - Platinum Lace by Vera Wang (Salad plates - Imperial Trellis by Vera Wang)
Flatware - Melrose Silverplate by Arthur Price
Crystal - Lismore Nouveau by Waterford
Salt & Pepper Set - Pottery Barn
Candlesticks - Waterford Gadroon
Silverplate Pitcher & Casserole Dish - Towle
Decanters - Riedel
Grey Tablecloth - HomeSense
Lace Tablecloth - Antique, Garage Sale
Pearl Garland - Canadian Tire



Don't miss out on this amazing throw pillow giveaway (until 11/26). Check it out here!

33 comments:

  1. Both the rich fall undertones and reflective quality of this tablescape are truly romantic.andrea@townamdprairie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you used an elegant and casual mix for your tablescape. The china, stems, and flatware just lovely. Your mother and father in-law are very fortunate to have such a thoughtful DIL. My congratulations to the anniversary couple.
    Hope your having a delightful week.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! They must have been so touched. It's really beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the corks and candles. Visiting from Coastal Charm. Stop by and see Ralph Lauren's Thanksgiving Table at number 86.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny! I have just found your blog via Keeping It Simple's link party. Love that you are in Toronto - we write our blog from the burbs, Ajax. This table setting is so elegant. I noticed that we have the same light fixture - yours is over your kitchen table ours is in our family room. And we've used the same MS brown canvas boxes in our closets! Lol. Nice to "meet" you!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would so make 30 years worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous table and lovely ideas. Love the corks and the candles and the pearls are a lovely touch for the anniversay.
    Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny, your table looks so pretty...I love how the lace adds a vintage feel! The wine corks in the hurricane are such a perfect centerpiece...not too big that you have to move it when you sit down to eat and talk to your guests! And I LOVE how you tied the cork to the wine decanter - so clever!! Thanks for sharing this pretty table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous tablescape. Love the layering of the linens and all of the sparkle is beautiful. The corks and candles is such a creative idea. Thanks for joining TTT. Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY GOODNESS Jenny! I couldn't take my eyes off the table.
    Such rich undertones with subtle reflects- this is elegance personified.

    Btw, do those wine glasses have chrome stem or clear? I specially loved it.

    Heartfelt love and congratulations to them. 30 years! Wow.

    Im so sorry to replied to your comment on my blog, late- I didn't receive it until today. It just popped up right now. Web traffic I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your table looks just beautiful! That is something that I'm not great at, and need to pay more attention to. It makes the meal so much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous table...I especially love the pearls and wine corks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! Looks gorgeous! I LOVE the pearl embellishments! They added so much!

    Thanks for linking up to the Take it on Tuesday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the anniversary table looks very elegant. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fantastic table!! you are so creative using the pearls, the corks, and the placecards, i love how you did this table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So elegant,I think I would like to try this for my 30th Anniversary next Feb and invite my children and other special people.... thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, this is all gorgeous, jenny! such a sweet memory for them. i love the tags,cork, pearls and lace:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a lovely setting! And I bet it made the night even more special! Thanks so much for linking up every week @ Show & Share. I truly do appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great table setting - so many lovely details. I love the idea of luggage labels as name cards - they're so effective!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely details -- especially like the bowl with the corks and pearls for the candle holder -- very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! Especially the corks. The whole table has a realy great feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. All of the extra details that you used in putting this tablescape together made it truly special, Jenny. I especially loved the way you labeled the decanters. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything is truly so lovely and elegant, yet casual and cozy. I'm sure your in-laws were so appreciative. Thanks for sharing!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a fun looking party...so pretty and of course I love the detail

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is quite lovely....I know that they must have been delighted that you set such a beautiful table for their celebration. Love all the pearls and corks...a delightful mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely!! You did a fabulous job. I love the wine cork centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)