Tuesday, November 1, 2011

$11 Kitchen Gallery Wall

Today, I thought I'd share a little project that I recently completed in our kitchen. I shared this project not too long ago when I was guest posting at Type A Decorating, too.

Matt and I needed some art to fill a wall in our kitchen but the budget was tapped out. Wait, let's back-track. Our kitchen recently underwent a major paint job - the cabinets got a few coats of whitish-grey (Atmosphere by Glidden) and the walls got a darker grey colour (Veil by Glidden). With simple Ikea curtains, (only $9.50 for a 98" panel) and a $30 Home Depot light fixture, the space now feels much fresher. 
So, to go with these changes, we needed some sort of art for the blank wall by the sink. We decided that, for the time being, we'd hang funny family photos there in a simple gallery wall fashion. I'll break it down for you, but here's how it looks all finished:
The centre photo makes us laugh. Here's a better look -- it is my son Benjamin at only 12 hours old.
Anyway, we had lots of cheapie frames on hand and were thus able to do this project for no more than the cost of a can of spray paint (we used Rustoleum's gloss white). To recreate this, you'd need to spend a whopping $11 on the frames, & buy paint if you were painting them. 
The frames were originally purchased at The Dollarama and were used on our wedding guest book table. They were painted gold and displayed many of our guests' own wedding portraits, which was a really fun surprise for them. I loved it. It looked like this:
Anyway, to reuse them for our kitchen wall, we started by measuring out a space for an arrangement of frames.
Next, we used a newspaper template to lay out the frames and choose which ones we wanted to use and how we wanted them layed out to fill said space. If you do something like this, be sure to photograph the arrangement so you don't forget what you decided on.
Of course, the frames were looking super ugly after being sprayed gold and then sitting in my parents' garage for 3+ years... Definitely not our style, but totally salvageable nonetheless. Here's the before:
A little cleaning and a few coats of spray paint later, they looked completely different. The white made all the weird details of the mismatched frames look fresh and coordinated. 
We still need to hang curtains here, but this very inexpensive project has helped personalize and brighten things up. We are one step closer to finishing off this space!


Jenny xo

23 comments:

  1. Great job! I love it! The wedding gallery was a great idea as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out fabulous!!! I'm in the process of collecting frames to spray for one of our hallways. Love how yours look!

    Xx. Patience

    http://whitelacquer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love photo galleries, yours turned out very well. I never thought about using a template before nailing into the wall. Good thought. I'm your newest follower; whenever you have a chance please vist. http://decoratingwcents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i love it! I love frames and i love that you re used those frames. I love white too.

    I have the party up! You can link as much as you want. My readers will love to know you and your blog better :)
    XOXO

    http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/2011/11/everything-baby-party-and-cutting-edge.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did here. It's so thrifty, personal, and beautiful. Benjamin looks like he's in deep thought. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this because I never think to put pictures like this in the kitchen. It always just ends up being an organization/white board/magnets on the fridge type room. I just pinned it!

    Thanks!

    Shannon @ Imperfectly-Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  7. spray painting old frames gloss white is probably one of my favorite home projects. and i'm obsessed with gallery walls! i haven't done one yet. well, except my daughter's room here:

    http://238windsor.blogspot.com/2011/10/halles-thrift-shop-diy-and-hand-me-down.html

    but that doesn't quite compare to the ideas i have for the rest of our house. i can't WAIT to get it started. problem is that we have to paint BIG TIME and i don't know whether to hang the darn pictures, or wait until walls are painted (which is going to take time and money - we're thinking of hiring someone due to the large staircases and high ceilings).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks wonderful--I love gallery walls..and when people come over they always seem to be drawn to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen is gorgeous and I love your gallery wall. I always think things look better white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the white, love the grouping of white. And that sweet baby isn't bad either.

    Thanks ~
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenny,
    Your walls of fun photos looks wonderful, I love the painted frames, so nice and shiny and modern looking.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love gallery walls, and yours turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so great! I actually did almost the exact same project this past weekend and I wrote about it on Monday! We bought our frames from Goodwill and spray painted them...We didn't have enough around the house, but I LOVE that you had them from your wedding and I LOVE that you had photos of your guests from their wedding day! What an awesome idea! Come by and check out our gallery wall!

    Kelli
    www.theinspiredcollection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Kitchen!! So Adorable!
    Nice job on the photo gallery. Love the texture the frames offer:)
    Stay Fashionable! Love, candy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super idea! Where there is a will...there is a way. You found a way to fill that wall with special pieces AND reuse what you had on hand. Nice job!

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your use to repurpse and paint the frames for a unified look.

    Ben looks mighty darn handsome for only 12 hours old in that pix!

    Thanks for sharing :D

    Visiting from Crazy Cute Thur Linky Party today,
    Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Idea, wonderful how all the Frames come together in White....

    ReplyDelete
  18. The wall of pictures turned out wonderful. And I love that you reused the frames you already had. And what a cutie in the center! Thank you for joining TTF and have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The crisp white frames make it look SO elegant! What a beautiful display pf pictures. And how sweet is the newborn in the picture?? I love it! Thanks for sharing @ Show & Share. I love the support!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gallery walls always add so much personality to your space. Yours definitely turned out fabulous. Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! The white was a great color choice for the frames. It really stands out against your wall color.

    Sharon @ mrshinesclass

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks great - love the white frames!!! Thanks for linking up to Take it on Tuesday blog hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the inspiration! I've been planning on a gallery wall for my living area for ages but I'm being so picky about the frames - heading to Dollarama tomorrow to have a look! I love what a little spray paint can do :) Your kitchen is just gorgeous by the way! And that thoughtful baby pose is just TOO cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you and read each and every message :)