We have a special set of dishes that we affectionately call "the breakfast china." We only have four settings, but when we have bigger groups we can easily mix and match with our various white china dishes. I love having this special breakfast set, especially when we have overnight guests. And I always think of the special people who gave it to us when we use it. I am also one who tends to avoid colorful patterns (I like a clean slate to show off food) but with breakfast dishes I think you can get something funkier without regretting it down the road.
Here is a glimpse of ours -- very soon I'll show you an easy but fun brunch tabelscape that I threw together in about ten minutes using these. Nothing like brunch on the weekend!
If you don’t already have some, I think a few special breakfast pieces can make the most important meal of the day feel extra special. For whatever reason, I personally am partial to ones with fruits, although other patterns appeal to me, too. Here are some favourites when I go imaginary shopping (note: Some of these are so gorgeous it would be hard to consider them breakfast only dishes!):
1) Antique Orchard by Mikasa, $39.99 for 5 piece setting
2) Monsoon Veronica Dinnerware by Denby, $58.99 for 4=piece setting
3) Chirp by Lenox Simply Fine. One of my most favourite patterns! Maybe one day I'll buy this as my "lunch china" (in my dreams...). $99.99 for 4-piece setting
4) Mandarin Blue by Ralph Lauren, available here on sale.
5) Cottage Inn by Villeroy and Boch, on sale here.
6) Lastly, here is a new favourite from a new favourite blog - The Quintessential Magpie. Aren't these little dishes just beautiful! Clearly not just for breakfast, but so cute I think I'd want to start my day with them.
See Sheila's blog for all the details.
What makes your breakfast table feel special?
PS. Special thank you to my dear friend Aviva, my sister-in-law Heather, my mother-in-law Kathy, and my Aunt Inger and Uncle Richard and cousins Ellen and Maddie each bought us pieces of what we call our Breakfast China. Can't wait to show it to you very very soon!!!